Thursday, September 21, 2006

the nature


My friend was once riding the bus to UVic and she overheard this girl extolling about how much she loved 'the nature'. The girl went on an on about how she just loves the smell of the lumber and the nature. It's now our inside joke whenever we smell fresh cut lumber. We take big whiffs and say, "Don't you just love the nature." Eegad.

My trip to the Shuswap was all olfactory. The boy and I swung through Merritt on Friday night to hang with my family. It was fantastic. My grama cooked up a huge batch of her small, animal shaped pancakes for us Saturday morning before we hit the road. The mix of bacon, coffee and pancake smells are one of the closest things to nirvana. We picked up Miss E from her conference in Sorrento on the way to Lindsay's cabin. The Shuswap smells really earthy compared to Merritt. Maybe its the lake and the forests and rotting salmon carcasses of Adams River. Merrritt has more of 'the nature' (read: lumber mills) compared to Celista and Anglemont. Our (me, Mel, James, E, Linds and the boy) weekend was a mix of ridicularity, beer, food, bannock, games and meanders along the lakeshore. James fought the fall cold with a roaring fire of beetle wood - I do love the smell of woodsmoke in the fall.

Today on my morning trek through Stanley Park it was really reminiscent of Joburg's
Zoo Lake park. I had my 25 birthday there with my Welsh room mate, my neighbor Jacques plus a couple thermoses of brandy&hot chocolate. We just lazed about the grass, picnicing, drinking and watching some half-assed cricket. I'm glad I have that option here in Vancouver. I've been wallowing a bit this week. I need to identify the glimpses of good in my life/surrounds, like Rob Brezny says this week.

2 Comments:

At 1:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this post. so wimsikaal. so unable to spell. so don't give a shit b/c life is abotu so much more than speeling or grammar or anything. yay. life. yay truth. yay drunkness inhibition. i sold my sould ot the devil only to find out he wasn't all evil. who shouda knew?

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger Miranda said...

oh you sew hit it on the noze - you don't even know. whoah speeling police. Do you want a job as my copy editor?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home