Thursday, September 07, 2006

my summer of sprints


I'm a sprinter. Big energy at the beginning, medium pace in the thick of things, and then a not-so-effective burst of energy at the end. I've never won an actual real running race, but I usually get an "A" for effort. My sprinting habits pretty much sum up my summer.

(My) life has changed a shiteload since the end of June. My days are the opposite of everyone else's - I work from home about 4 hours a day and then waitress about 4 hours a night. I rely on others to recognize or utilise my uni-honed talents to make a living. I set my own schedule (pretty much) and have no more health benefits. But I'm not complaining. I'm more just sitting back and reflecting. Luckily the little person inside my head that is in charge of regret gave himself the summer off.

As a sprinter I set all sorts of goals at the beginning of summer. I was going to be a great pen pal and write letters every day (lasted about a week). I was going to have at least three articles published by the end of August. Hmmmm. Nada. I was going to start in on my fiction piece and complete a novella, rising with the sun each day to scribe inspired romance-turned-wrong BS. I made it to the second chapter - which I have rewrite now that I think about it. You see, my life and the sun kept getting in the way.

Instead I printed some tshirts and attended some weddings in fantastic settings. I hung out with my bff and fought with her too. I swam with ecoli and friends in Indian Arm. I boated with techies to Gambier Island. I hiked the Juan de Fuca trail with a lovely PE teacher and an easygoing Kootenay hippie, later that day lunched with grey whales and seals. I drank ridiculous amounts of rum with high school girlfriends - connecting with everyone after 10 years of post-high school life. Mom and I went to the beach, thrift shop, the Devil wears Prada (mini-ephiphany!). I explored Coombs and Little Qualicum falls with the boy. My skin tanned during our itsy bitsy hot snap. I ate steak with my dad, stepmom and brothers. I my families' gardens. I learned the power of early morning coffee dates from one of my fungirls from Seattle.

My summer was fab. Oh yeah, read my first article published in a long time here.

4 Comments:

At 12:28 PM , Blogger Dawn and Fred plus one said...

congrats for being published Mir!...and love the story about your bro and the t. xo

 
At 10:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day! 

I need help with my crappy computer! It is always freezing when i open IE and going to MSN? What do you think?

Wow, I've found the same to be true too!  How did you find that?  

See you soon! Girly Girl 




how I make money with paid surveys

 
At 3:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there 

I need help with my crappy computer! It is always freezing when i open IE and going to MSN? What do you think?

By the way, I love that too!  How did you find that?  

Bye, - Shelia! 



how I make money with paid surveys

 
At 8:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there 

By the way, I love that too!  Where did you get that at?  

See you soon! Girly Girl 



see how I make free money with paid online surveys

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home