Tuesday, June 20, 2006

summer strep

Ahhh. Regression. Don't you love it? How it sneaks up on you so quickly? So stealthly. So pus-ily. I have a wicked case of strep throat thanks to given'r a little too hard last week. I was out every single night last week. Not unusual for a lot of people. Not unusual for me - 5 years ago, 3 years ago, maybe even 2 years ago. But not now.

The given'r highlights that ruined me:

Monday - MG pre-summer staff party. Free drinks. Free chicken thighs and pizza (wheat = evil) and greasy bus tubs. After a few too many bellinis, I ran to the top of the stairs with a bus tub, popped it under my ass and launched myself down the stairs. A few seconds later I was using my upper thigh/hip area as a brake. The bruise is still there. Thank god I don't have a digital camera yet.

Tuesday - African chowfest with fellow wannabe foodies at Nyala. Not too much wine, but definitely too much food.

Wednesday - My 'retirement' party from my day job. My last chance for free bevvies on the company bill. You betcha I was going to drink breadth of the menu. Plus I deal with goodbyes/emotions better drunk. Allegedly. Then I cabbed to my sweetie over in Kits for comfort and more gin. He made me feel better, the gin unfortunately did not.

Thursday - John Digweed. Crazy MG coworker Django. One sweaty Austrailian. Two strippers (of the No. 5 Orange ilk). 10 Kootenay kids. Not much sleep and probably a little too much progressive house.

Friday - some tables waited. Considerable tips made. Beers drank. Sleep not had.

Saturday - Karoake at Fantacity. Highlights: Ellie's rendition of Abba. Katie and Dani's prostar voices. Yours truly having all fun and no tune to Dolly Parton and John Cougar Mellancamp.

And now folks, this is my throat.

PS Bus related note. I was supposed to attend the World Urban Forum this week. Thanks to my strep I've been mainly sleeping off my first week of 'retirement' from the day job. I have managed to use my WUF bus pass to go to the Doc's and to grab some groceries. Yay free bus pass. Boo bad conference attender. Thursday I'll be going full bore.

PPS Elaine Corden's summer playlist is out. It's a gooder and includes my lovely ex-roomie's band Cadeux.

3 Comments:

At 1:00 PM , Blogger Elianna Lev said...

Ellie? Who's Ellie?

 
At 7:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, i love that the spam message needs an edit! so sorry about your throat. i have some good strep drugs in my medicine cabinet in victoria. you're more than welcome to make a trip over and rifle through my cupboards. the good stuff is the blue liquid. (really, how can you go wrong with brightly coloured liquid...).

 
At 11:13 AM , Blogger elaine said...

thanks for the props dude. Can we hang out or what?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home