Saturday, April 22, 2006

the dark

So I'm moving out of my East Van abode for June 1st. This weekend I'll start actually sniffing around in potential neighborhoods in earnest. The big considerations for the new abode are in order of importance:
  1. access to a garden and/or balcony so that I can grow things
  2. distance from junkies and/or nayerdowells who scare me (in abundance in current neighborhood)
  3. West of Main Street and north of 30th streets
  4. Mode of transport needed to get to work.

I'm looking around City Hall and the Ontario street neighborhoods and Kits so far. If anyone hears of a sweet bachelor or small one bedroom...

Last night I went to an art show on Granville at a store called Organized Kaos. I packed the Fox full of hipsters and tootled down to the street of debauchery. I was playing cupid between a couple of friends of mine. My boy said the guy wasn't a catch. I of course defended him because he's my friend and I try to concentrate on all of his 'good' characteristics. The girl I was trying to fix up is a super smart, sassy, gorgeous friend. What was I thinking?

The highlight of the night was seeing the dark. He's a graffitti artist (stencil/wheat paste) that lives in the downtown eastside. Sometimes he's featured on the wooster collective. One of his more noticeable pieces is on the wall at Pigeon Park - one of the lovelier of the sights I see when taking the #7 up Carral street. It's too bad none of his art was there; he probably wouldn've blown all the other artists out of the water price wise. I hear he's expensive. There was some amazing little paintings there for between $15-45. The dark's up on the talent spectrum with Zach Braff (writing), Justin Bua (painting) and Tony Bennett (singing). Don't laugh I'm serious. I was hoping some of his tortured artistness would rub off his skinny back bone to me.

Trying to be creative these days is like popping zits on a skin care model - it ain't happening. Trying to find the outlet, even more difficult.

2 Comments:

At 10:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - The Dark is awesome. My fav is the girl kneeling down in gastown... it was on a construction site... not sure if it's still there...

 
At 6:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog - I put myself there with you, you know my imagination. Going to do it for real, and take public transit more often when in Calgary. I love the Sky Train, they call it the 'Sea' Train, not me though, there isn't 'sea' for hundreds of miles, nothing but 'sky'.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home