Friday, March 10, 2006

butterflies in the big city

Sorry, I saved this as a draft and forgot to publish it.

A quickie from New York. I lurv this town. I've been here for a week writing, art gallerying and riding the subway. I've managed to pick something up along the way a little bug in my throat. Feels like I've swallowed a couple of gonads.

On Monday, my first day of riding the trains alone I was so nervous. The Merritt in me was really kicking in. What if I get lost? What if someone kidnaps me? There's 11 million people in New York? Will anyone notice if I go missing. Manhattan is so dense and peopled, its daunting to me, girl of valleys, wide grassy meadows and forests that cover armsweeps of vistas.

I could spend a summer here exploring each subway stop's neighborhood. I've visited Strawberry Fields, Columbia University, the Financial District, Harlem (Malcom X Blvd!) and Brooklyn so far.

Amber (friend that I'm visiting - lives in Astoria, social worker, former South African travel/intern buddy) and I had the MOST amazing dinner at NYC's only South African restaurant, i-shebeen Madiba. It was so authentic - in a semi- sketchy hood, all South African waiters, almost bad service, amazing, large food portions and Felix Laband playing on the stereo. I can't wait to return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home