Friday, March 24, 2006

bandwagons


I wanted to recommend a very pretty blog to you all: Mini-bus diaries. Great pics of travels through South America. Vancouver designer Lyndsay Simmonds and her partner headed off a while back to tour through Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina and Chile with their toyota mini-bus.

One of my (former) favourite bus reading materials and Vancouver weekly is starting to turn to schlock. Recently my favourite columnist from the
Westender disappeared from their pages. If anyone ever read 'In the City' or 'Bankgeek' you know who I'm talking about. Elaine Corden's writing was always witty, erudite and before the trend hit. The Westender is trying to go all lifestyle on us and I'm not sure it's working. Even their amazing "My Digs" columnist Carla Gillis has left and I'm afraid the homes featured on that page will be there just cause there pretty and not much else. Hmmm. Makes me sad. If anyone agrees with me that their conversion to pander to yuppie Yaletowners or middle aged Kitsilano folk with mortgages and hummer strollers, you should email them demanding that Band Geek return and that their editorial direction move back to left of centre edgy, East Vanny.

Last night my friend Elly and I took the #9 back to my place for a mushy dinner. My wisdom teeth are still healing from the yankage last week, so most food goes into a blender these days before touching my lips. Elly was making fun of me for being a 'late bandwagon jumper' (my words not hers). I become unreasonable pysched and stoked on movies and music well after they're en vogue. I kind of pride myself in this quality. How would people like Luke Wilson (Royal Tannenbaums, 2 years after release), Zach Braff (Garden State, 1 year after release), Salma Hayek (Frida, 4 years after release) make money if people like me didn't continue to watch their films once they've shuffled off the new release shelf.


Whatever. I'm a bit slow, but what I lack in speed I make up for in enthusiasm. Like my obsessive rotations of The Whigs, an amazing little band from Athens, GA that I saw in NYC. What a minute, I don't think many people have heard of them. Does this mean I'm starting a bandwagon?

Rain rain rain in Vancouver. I'm heading to Victoria this weekend to meet my friend's new baby, Molly! Finally. I hope she likes the little goodie I got her at the Malcom Shabazz African market in Harlem.

PS. I looked at the Volkswagen last night. It was so compact and cute and seemingly perfect. Good price, good clutch, CD player. I may be sold. Tonight I'm off to see the Volvo and the Subaru.

4 Comments:

At 1:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Mir - long time! So guess what: I'm now a huge bus user too! I now have a TWO HOUR transit commute everyday to work... i might have to create my transit oriented blog ;)... but I too am looking for a car :)

 
At 2:18 PM , Blogger Miranda said...

2 hours. Thats crazy. I feel like a total whiner now. Where are you working now?

 
At 6:36 PM , Blogger Elianna Lev said...

You forgot to mention Pulp Fiction.

 
At 1:05 PM , Blogger elaine said...

thanks for saying nice things. I am a big fan of saying nice things. I am not such a fan of the bus, but maybe your blog will change my mind.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home