Monday, April 10, 2006

beasties, blagg, and calamity

I think I'm falling in love with Tod. He's a sweet, obedient and has only cost me a wee chunk of change so far in brake repairs. He's beetled me around town with minimal amounts of funny noises/gas consumption.

The transit gods are still being lovely to me. I've been blessed with a wealth of transit-only- treasures. Namely:
  • ipod karaoke singers - I sat across from a serious business suit rocker last week. He full on belted it out at least two David Bowie songs a couple decibels higher than a whisper. Why would I buy a nano and download music videos to watch when I ride the skybus with people like this?
  • unlimited over the shoulder reading. I'm a nosey person - with a mustang of an imagination. If you're reading something near me on the bus/skytrain then don't think that I'm not going to start my pop analysis of your personality, because I will. Choice reads this week have been: Aurora business magazine (50 ruppees), the Vancouver Sun business section and 'The 5 people you meet in heaven' by Mitch Albom.
  • the old man wearing the G-spot cap and the moment I shared with a cutie of a banker on the #9. There was this wrinkled old man sitting across from me and the banker. He was wearing a neon green/white track jacket and a navy blue hat that looked like he got it for free at some fundraiser or corporate function. "G-spot" was scralled across the front of the cap in white embroidered letters. I sniggered the whole 8 blocks between Commercial and Nanaimo, and discreetly pointing and then sharing "Does he know what his hat logo means?" looks.
  • Loads of bus runners. I love bus runners. People who sprint like Donavan Bailey for the bus, and make it, are like my own little olympics but weekly.
  • Old chinese ladies. I take the bus with the same 5 tiny ladies every week. One morning in the winter, one lady was doing jumping jacks and callestenics at our stop. Why the hell not. When you're cold, you're cold right?

Some non-bus related goodies:

I love the Beastie Boys. Look at them. I want to be like them when I'm 39. Rocking the funk and full on late 30s suave, despite the greys and the wrinkles, but still so Brooklyn. Brass Monkey, that funky monkey.

Calling all Vice Dos and Don'ts fans. Check out Alex Blagg's 'Just Don't' March 31 blogg.

My new favourite radio show. It's called Radio Free Calamity and is produced by a couple kids in Toronta. If you have obnoxious siblings (like I do, 3!) you'll be able to relate to every single digital second of this.

3 Comments:

At 7:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry, but at least one of the beasties looks like he's turned into sherlock holmes. is that what happens in your late thirties? can i turn into agatha christie instead?

 
At 6:00 PM , Blogger Miranda said...

Sweet. Do you run in your kilt too?

 
At 6:44 AM , Blogger Dawn and Fred plus one said...

ooo...can I be Jessica Fletcher? (from Murder she wrote)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home