Tuesday, October 03, 2006

visiting Kigali at the Granville 7


In the September issue of Glamour magazine there was an article that was titled something like: "10 things girls do that guys just don't understand". One of them was watching movies that they know will make them cry. Bingo. That was me today.

But it wasn't only me. I went to go see A Sunday in Kigali (Un dimanche a Kigali for all you bilingual folks). I think they should rename it to: "Love in the time of Genocide" or "Being Quebecois in Rwanda 1994: Witnessing the world watching genocide and being fucking frustrated by everyone's inaction." That last title could be the name of a couple films.

Anyways it was beautiful and mostly disturbing. My favourite part was watching a snippy Canadian consulate worker get hers (not death, no) and the beautiful Rwandan actors. There were parts of the movie where the ENTIRE theatre was crying, including the middle aged guy behind me. I swear he was using the collar of my shirt as tissue. The director was there for questions afterwards but I had to boot it out of there and have a good sob in the bathroom before I went back into the beautifully sunny day on our comfy little Granville Street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home