Sunday, November 26, 2006

giant cement truck snowmen


It snowed in Merritt last night and is it ever beautiful. Above is a shot of one of our many lakes. Before the insanity of the MMF Merritt's tourist mantra was "A lake a day as long as you stay." Where I'm staying is nowhere near this, but it is near a river.

Feeding chickens, puppies and dogs is so much more fun in the snow. Its like a fluffy salute to the end of my stay. I can't WAIT to snowboard all of the sudden. Even though I suck I'm going to try to make it down a couple smaller hills before Mel's annual Whistler trek. Interior snow is the best, Sun Peaks to be exact. Panorama is good too. The flakes are tiny, dry and fluffy. So perfect and crunchy, it's almost like fake snow.

On Friday night I spent four hours in the subzero. The 4th annual Santa Claus parade, trundled down the main street of Merritt while we shivered. My girlfriends, cousin Mossimo and I had a great time. My friend's daughter was in the parade and didn't recognize me. When she did she made the meanest, funniest scrunchy lip face and then waved. I told her later the newspaper took a picture of her like that and she may be famous for her nasty face. She made the face again.


The parade was really impressive. There were 70 floats including a cement truck transformed into a swivelling snowman and a walking float of STAAR (Students Taking Action Against Racism), an anti-racism group I helped start in high school. When I started cheering for the STAAR float they looked at me like I was crazy. I felt like an old, crazy has-been.

By the end of the night I couldn't feel my thighs or cheeks. My friend's son was so bundled he looked like the Randy Parker from, the Christmas story. You know the little brother that can barely walk.

2 Comments:

At 1:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, you old, crazy has-been, let's go riding!
glad to have you back in the city.

 
At 9:12 AM , Blogger Dawn and Fred plus one said...

i love small town parades! They're definitely better than big city parades...I find big cities tend to have big trucks with Christmas lights, not real floats...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home